Pakistani girls go to the gym

Pakistan: the kid shot in the head by the Taliban

In an operation that took hours, the doctors removed one bullet from her head and another from her spine. Malala Jusufzai is still unconscious, but the Pakistani girl is out of danger after the attack by the Taliban fighters.

If the condition of the 14-year-olds allows, she should be flown from the military hospital in Peshawar to a clinic in Dubai.

On Tuesday, unknown men targeted Malala while she was on her way home from school. The pursuit of her life has a lot to do with the courage with which she opposes the Taliban.

When Malala Jusufzai first noticed she was just 11 years old. The Pakistani girl with the green-brown eyes protested against the closure of her school in the Swat Valley.

That was in 2009, at which point the Taliban actually took control of the valley near the Afghan border.

Taliban banned girls from going to school

Malala was unwilling to accept that the radical Islamists were banning girls from school. Together with her father, who ran the last girls' school in the valley, she even spoke to Richard Holbrooke, then Obama's special envoy for Pakistan.

Even the top US diplomat could not prevent the Taliban from closing Malala's school. Only an offensive by the Pakistani military drove the holy warriors away, and Malala was finally able to get back to her beloved books.

Since then she has been threatened several times, but she did not allow herself to be intimidated and even wrote down her experiences on a blog for the BBC. For her commitment, Malala has been nominated for the International Children's Peace Prize. In the meantime, the Taliban have confessed to the cowardly attack on the girl. She was too pro-Western, it said in the statement.

Out of danger to life, but not yet awakened

After an operation, Malala is out of danger but not yet conscious. The Pakistani doctors told their first visitors that when they woke up, they might not be the same.

One day after the attack on the young activist, people across the Swat Valley protested against the violence of the Taliban. Many schools in the region remained closed and the authorities' flags were fluttered at half-mast.

The Chief of Staff of the Pakistani Armed Forces, Aschfaq Parviz Kayani, visited the girl in the hospital. "The terrorists did not understand that Malala is a symbol of courage and hope," said Kayani. The military will not bow to terror.