Are you glad Singapore is safe
Corona in Singapore: Here people follow all requirements
Singapore was considered a successful model in terms of fighting pandemics - until a few weeks ago the numbers rose sharply. Tourists have been banned from entering the city-state since March 23, 2020. Klaus Gottschalk, manager of the “Grand Mercure Roxy Hotel”, is also affected by the influx of visitors.
Before Corona, his 576-room house accommodated around 200,000 guests annually. We asked him about the local situation, about the difficulties and hopes - and wanted to know what is currently going on differently in Singapore than in Germany.
WORLD: Many know Singapore as a city full of tourists. What has been the situation in Singapore since the Corona outbreak?
Klaus Gottschalk: Singapore has definitely changed. Apart from the empty hotels, the absence of foreign visitors is most noticeable in the typical tourist locations, for example at the airport, the promenade of Orchard Road, in the amusement parks on Sentosa Island.
The Singapore Flyer, the famous Ferris wheel, has also been standing still since April and the red hop-on-hop-off tourist double-deckers are completely missing from the cityscape. Taxis are now plentiful at any time of the day; before the crisis it was often difficult at certain times.
However, the absence of foreign tourists also has small advantages for the locals. Reservations in restaurants are not a problem, even in popular restaurants that had long waiting lists before the crisis.
And you have the great view from the viewing platform high up on the roof of the "Marina Bay Sands" hotel almost to yourself these days. In the casinos there is also not the usual crowd, because the otherwise very numerous visitors from China and other Asian countries are missing.
- What are the basics of humanistic psychology
- Was Thanos weakened in the Avengers Endgame
- Bonuses are taxed at 40
- Regret leaving Russia
- Who founded Sri Lanka
- How can you justify fate
- Are Jimenez guns poorly made guns
- Why did Safiya Saf Nygaard leave BuzzFeed
- How did Motorola develop the cell phone for the first time
- On which website are sewn saris sold online?
- What is the USP of Instagram
- Where does flood go
- Why do people disable Facebook accounts
- What are the 4 pillars of OOPs
- Palm oil how it's done
- Why do others lie about honest people
- How do I make t-shirt designs
- Was Napoleon ever a good military leader?
- How does a PhD student settle in the UK?
- What things bothers you on Facebook
- Did Lebanon recognize Israel
- Why do women's bathrooms never have urinals?
- What's good and bad at Princeton University
- What are the important details about Brexit