Is acetone safe to use on plastic
Acetone and plastic - do they go together?
The solvent acetone is popular with DIY enthusiasts. It can be used both indoors and outdoors. However, when using acetone, you should bear in mind that the solvent affects other substances. We will show you which plastics are compatible with acetone and which plastics should not come into contact with the solvent.
This is where acetone comes from
Acetone comes from nature. The natural solvent comes from the fermentation process of various fruits. Even the human organism is able to produce small amounts of acetone itself. Acetone is very popular as a natural agent.
Acetone and compatibility with plastics
Hardly any fundamental statements can be made about the compatibility of acetone and plastic. For this reason, we have listed a large number of plastics for you below. In addition, there are always the results of laboratory tests on the compatibility of acetone with the material. The rating is from A - D - very resistant to not at all resistant. In addition, the abbreviation KB stands for no evaluation possible. For some plastics, an estimate was necessary. We use the abbreviation CA for this.
Compatibility with thermoplastics
Polyamide or nylon - A
High density polyethylene - A.
Polyoxymethylene - A
Polypropylene - A
Polymenthylpentene or TPX - B
Low density polyethylene - C
Polycarbonate - D
Polyethylene terephthalate glycol or co-polyester - D
Polystyrene, Styrofoam or Styrodor - D
Polysulfone - D
Polyvinyl chloride - D
Styrene-acrylonitrile - D
Compatibility with elastomers
Ethylene Propylene Terpolymer Rubber - A.
Fluoropolymer or Viton - D
Nitrile rubber - D
Silicone rubber - KB
Compatibility with fluorine plastics
Tetrafluoroethylene-Perfluoropropylene - A (CA)
Polytetrafluoroethylene - A
Ethylene-chlorotrifluoroethylene or Halar - B
Ethylene Tetrafluoroethylene - B
Polyvinylidene fluoride - C
Basic tips for use
There are several tips you should follow when using and combining acetone and plastics. Because the compatibility described is due to conditions in the laboratory. In practice, certain deviations are possible. Therefore, you should use a small sample of plastic to test the effects of acetone on the particular plastic.
- How are the winters in Vancouver, Canada
- Where can I download free pictures
- Can two infinities be the same
- Same-sex marriages should be allowed Why
- What is Amsterdam Netherlands known for
- Why is Solitaire Klondike called
- You can vote in jail
- Exists the Presidential Book of Secrets
- How to hire a wedding planner
- Could Australia become a dictatorship?
- The present now exists
- Where are most of the gemstones found
- What is the foundry
- Who were the authors of the Holy Bible?
- Is drunk driving a criminal case
- What are the pros about the death penalty
- Is only racist with white men
- What is a textile shop
- How does a software compiler work
- What was the first recorded religion
- A world without work is possible
- Which animal represents Scotland
- Which country has the best landscape
- Love Japanese Americans