What is the etymology of the garland
A garland is a decorative chain made of flowers, leaves, paper or other materials that is hung on festive occasions, for example as room or table decorations, on the Christmas tree or around a person's neck. In India and other parts of Asia, flower garlands serve as a festive gift when visiting temples, at weddings, on New Year's Day, etc. Garlands can be arranged next to each other or overlapping; the ends usually hang loosely.
A festoon is also used as a more voluminous, stylized architectural ornament.
The word comes from the French "Guirlande" and the Italian "Ghirlanda" for a braid.
Front door frame decorated with garland
Garlands of light in Vienna, Graben (New Year's Eve 2010)
Folk festival decoration in Moncarapacho, Portugal
Feston on a classical facade
- Adolf Ernst Napp: Bukranion and Guirlande. Contributions to the history of the development of the Hellenistic and Roman decorative arts. Bechstein, Wertheim am Main 1933, DNB 570946492 (Inaugural dissertation to obtain a doctorate from a high philosophy faculty at the Ruprecht-Karls University of Heidelberg 1930, 49 pages).
Media used on this page
Author / Creator: The authorship was not given in a machine-readable form. Piotrus is accepted as the author (based on the information of the rights holder)., License:CC BY-SA 3.0
Source: Photo by myself.
- What is the watermelon diet
- Why is nuclear power illegal in Australia?
- How many people know each other
- Harajuku fashion is still actively practiced
- Where can I buy cheap weed online
- How would you improve the email experience
- What is it like to live in Brampton
- How are the immigrants who flood Europe funded?
- Who Owns Balmoral Castle
- Why should I try head therapy
- What problems can a graphic designer solve
- How good is the Lancaster University Management School
- Android coding is easy
- What does neighboring country mean
- How can I start a minimalism brand
- Most white supremacists are Republicans
- Turkey has good opportunities for teachers
- What motivates me to work faster
- What are the best websites for Tollywood websites
- What material melts in the heat
- Why does a person become emotionless
- How useful is AutoCAD in civil engineering
- Indian boys love American girls
- What's wrong with the Democratic Party
- How much has India benefited from the demonization
- When does your ambition motivate you?
- What are the military relations between Bangladesh and Singapore
- Was Kanhaiya Kumars' arrest unlawful
- How do you connect gas pipes
- Toothpaste expires
- The vast majority of people are heterosexual
- Indian electrical appliances work in Canada
- Why was Malcom X killed
- When and why should one get married