What is an adjective example of superlatives
How is the superlative (maximum level) used?
The superlative (also called the maximum level because it represents the highest level in the increase) is required to indicate the highest value or the highest degree of something. So there is nothing that could outperform or undercut the corresponding property. The highest level (superlative) is formed by adding '-st' or '-est' and the appropriate declension ending to the adjective. There are two ways of using it:
- The use of the superlative in front of the reference noun with the corresponding declination (inflection):
- "That was the most exciting film I've ever seen."
- "I think the most exciting trips are safaris in the jungle."
- The undeclined use with the preposition 'am' and the adjective ending '-en' (e.g. am schön-st-en):
- "Our dog prefers to sleep outside in the dog house."
- "The best thing is to ask him if he can help you."
Info: In addition to specifying the highest value, there is also the option of specifying the lowest value of something. You can either use the opposite (antonym) of the respective adjective or use the expressions 'least' or 'least':
- Without a suitable opposite:
- "Research is the least advanced in this area."
- With an antonym (opposite word) and the same meaning:
- "Peter is the least gifted, but he tries hard."
- "Peter is the least talented, but he tries hard."
- With an antonym, but with different meanings:
- “Shall we buy this screen there; which is the cheapest? "
- “Shall we buy this screen there; who is the least adventurous? "
- Here to make it clear that all screens are perceived as expensive, but the desired one costs the least of all.
How is the superlative (maximum level) formed?
The formation of the superlative (maximum level) takes place in German in the following ways. A distinction is made between regular and irregular adjectives. In both cases, however, “am” is put in front of it if there is no reference noun in the sentence. Compare:
- Formation of the superlative for regular adjectives by adding '-st' or '-est' and the corresponding declension ending:
- fast → fastest
- small → smallest
- mild → the mildest
- In the case of irregularly increased adjectives, the forms differ from case to case. Some examples are:
- cold → colder → coldest
- good → better → best
What is meant by the term hyperlative?
Info: The term 'hyperlative', which is heard again and again, stands for the increase of certain adjectives that normally cannot be increased because they already express the maximum. These include, for example, the so-called absolute adjectives. Here are more details on the definition of the hyperlative in the German language.
Further explanations on the "use of the superlative (maximum level) in the increase"
The following explanations fit the »superlative (maximum level) in German«, which could also be interesting and helpful:
- Which country has banned reservations?
- Did the Democrats underestimate the immigration issue?
- What were your first impressions of Indonesia
- What are the Highest Paid College Majors
- How does a dryer work 1
- What does alkali do to the body?
- How is the fee structure of CS
- What 10 things make a good fanfiction?
- Why Dalits feel discriminated against
- What bra size do you wear
- What is QuickBooks software
- Which companies are companies replacing humans with robots
- How many children does a goat have
- What are some of your inner demons
- What is the fastest moving tectonic plate
- What are the benefits of freelance jobs
- What is an IT architect
- What is an example of empty activism
- Is the division a sign of narcissism?
- What is information technology work
- Is propaganda ever ethical
- What are the difficulties due to daemonization
- May women have bondage sex
- Can countries survive without food imports
- Tip food truck workers
- How can denim and khaki be combined
- Is it done correctly in English
- What is computer science 5
- Why is AutoCAD important
- What does John Cate think of Putin?
- Is marriage really just a contract?
- Who is the best chelsea player