Who benefits from patriarchy
"Tender and free" by Carolin Wiedemann : Engage in new relationships
There are quite a few these days who argue that this feminism is also good. The men have long since been in the #MeToo pillory, the third gender option exists in Germany, and the gender asterisk has even reached public broadcasting. Carolin Wiedemann sets these voices at the beginning of “Zart und frei. On the fall of the patriarchy "(Matthes & Seitz, Berlin 2021. 200 pages, 20 euros) opposed to an oppressive portrayal.
“On a bike with shorts through Berlin. A distance of 20 minutes. One of them calls after me "cunt", another whistles after me. Average rate. ”The patriarchy may hardly be legally anchored in this country, but its poison continues to have an effect in everyday life. Every third woman still claims to be sexually harassed in the workplace. Others submit to the beauty ideal of the thigh gap (the thighs shouldn't touch each other when standing), while the pay gap, the gender-specific wage gap, persists.
It is such examples that form the starting point of Wiedemann's analysis of modern patriarchal conditions. In doing so, she points out that anti-feminist mobilization has been reinvigorated in the past few years, especially in supposedly liberal places around the world. In Berlin there are increasing reports of trans-hostile attacks, so-called LGBT-free zones are emerging in Poland, and an obscene misogynist becomes the US president.
Connection between capitalism and patriarchy
And right-wing populism long ago proclaimed patriarchy as an organizational form of vital importance in the western world (“immigration through the birth canal of German women”). The hatred of everything that wants to evade the traditional gender order culminates in rampages of new right-wing violent criminals. But, as Wiedemann emphasizes, the backlash is also rolling in the liberal and left-wing milieu. Again and again it is said that feminism has overshot the target - at the latest when it has turned to queer feminism and given up the binary understanding of gender.
[More news from the queer world can be found in the monthly Queerspiegel newsletter of the Tagesspiegel - here you can register.]
Wiedemann's concern in “Zart und frei”, on the other hand, is to show that queer feminism is by no means only aimed at the particular interests of minorities, but ultimately all people benefit when the supremacy of white, heterosexual cis-men crumbles.
At the heart of “Tender and Free” is the analysis of the connection between capitalism and patriarchy. After excursions into Mesopotamia to Babylonia, the time of the witch hunt and the age of the Enlightenment, the author paints a picture of how male rule could form a fateful triangle of power with the economy and the nation state. And how a historically evolved gender image has become deeply interwoven with the way our society functions.
Determined, but not dogged
There is an impressive wealth of material from which the author draws. The 16-page appendix contains works from Susan Faludi to Klaus Theweleit, from Friedrich Engels to Margarete Stokowski. Nevertheless, “Tender and Free” never appears scientifically overloaded. Rather, the book testifies to historical awareness, combines clear everyday examples with study results, complex ideas with a clear language.
In the second half, Wiedemann then dares the alternative and proceeds to practice new ways of relating. She reports on new forms of love relationships and alternative family models beyond the nuclear family. And men who deal self-critically with ideals of masculinity.
As Wiedemann argues convincingly, society is not slipping into postmodern arbitrariness through the softening of rigid gender images; rather, individuals can find freer forms of togetherness. The author argues decisively, but not doggedly. Don't want to re-educate, but shake hands. In the spirit of the title, through the tenderness in freedom.
- What are templates used for in autoCAD
- What does the Symantec company sell
- When would you like to wear jewelry?
- Which company can challenge Huawei in 5G
- How do I overcome work anxiety
- What is excitement for people in their 40s
- What are the uses of the digital system
- Attracts generosity manipulators
- Asthma can cause immunodeficiency
- How should I buy batting gloves
- Why do older people dream in color
- Why are Algeria and Morocco not making peace?
- What is the smallest cruise ship
- What's the plan for Puerto Ricos 2020
- What controversial issues do college students face?
- What is a good homemade brass cleaner
- What is English in Chinese
- What are the prospects for graduates in NUS
- Can dreams interpret things that have never been seen before
- What is the political scenario of india
- Does the Airtel SIM work in Malaysia
- Should alcohol be banned
- Why do people find paragraphs attractive?
- Why do Walmart employees wear gloves
- What's your best natural photo
- What would happen if Donald Trump won?
- How are custom diamond pendants made
- What is castration in humans
- What's a great gift this Christmas
- How was the 1918 influenza pandemic resolved?
- How can someone succeed without training
- Why can't rich countries eradicate poverty?
- Swims 800m freestyle HIIT or LISS
- Where does April come before March