Is capitalism sustainable in a sustainable economy
Theme week "Capitalism and Sustainability"
Are capitalism and sustainability compatible? And if so: under what conditions, with what consequences and side effects do capitalist economies succeed in finding an answer to the multiple ecological crises? Is it really out of the question that “creative destruction” (Schumpeter) as a mode of capitalist dynamism does not also “creatively” destroy fossil capitalism and invent new possibilities in the “combination of things and forces” that actually make capitalism green? Or are there material barriers to this, which lie in the material properties of eco-systems, so that in the end creative destruction is only destruction, and even “dynamic” capitalism ultimately fails because of the ecological question?
In the digital theme week “Capitalism and Sustainability” we want to discuss these questions from different perspectives and in different event formats.
Mon. May 03, 2021, 5: 00-6: 30 p.m .: Keynote
- Jason W. Moore (Binghamton University): "Sustainability, Spaceships and Slaveships: Climates of Class Politics in the Capitalist World-Ecology, 1492-2030”
Wed. May 05, 2021, 10:00 am-3:00pm: workshop
In the second event, in the format of a workshop, the critique of capitalism formulated in the keynote will be put to the test of social science analyzes, which do not exclude the possibility of a changeable and adaptable capitalism a priori. Rather, the focus is on current trends and tendencies in the capitalist economy and the open question of what specific dynamics the greening of the economy unfolds.
- 10:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m. Welcome and Introduction
- 10: 20-11: 10 a.m. Ulrike Herrmann ("the daily newspaper", Berlin): "From the beginning and the end of capitalism“
- 11: 10-12: 00 a.m.Ali Aslan Gümüsay (University of Hamburg): "Sustainable business? Diverse forms of organization and social challenges“
- 12: 00-13: 00 BREAK
- 1: 00-1: 50 p.m.Lisa Knoll (University of Paderborn): "The EU sustainability taxonomy. On the sociotechnology of green capitalism“
- 1.50pm-2.40pmKlaus Dörre (University of Jena): "Sustainability goals - a normative basis for the socio-ecological transformation?“
- 2: 40-3: 00 p.m. Final discussion
Fri. May 7, 2021, 11 a.m.-12: 30 p.m .: Lecture
The themed week concludes with a lecture that overcomes the previous focus on a European-American perspective and focuses on East Asian strategies for greening the economy.
- Jin-Wook Shin (Chung-Ang University Seoul): "The Allure of Developmentalism and the Challenge for Sustainability in East Asian Capitalism"
Please register by email at: zukuenfte.der.nachhaltigkeit "AT" uni-hamburg.de
You will receive the Zoom access details shortly before the theme week. Until then, we ask for your patience.
Please note that the keynote (May 3rd) and the concluding lecture (May 7th) will be held in English, the workshop (May 5th) in German.
Organization: Dr. Philipp Degens / Dr. Sarah Lenz / Prof. Dr. Sighard Neckel
- What is a career in art
- Pakistan has shopping malls
- Are there actually SJWs
- What if my hippocampus gets full
- What is important to Guru Nanak
- What is outbound automation software
- Who are the Kikuyu 1
- Who wants to start a home business
- Are introverts or extroverts born or made
- What does man mean
- How is Sri Lanka perceived globally
- Why is Canada so wrong
- How do companies decide practically about prices
- What 10 things make a good fanfiction?
- What is digital
- Were there really medieval Africans in America
- How can I make an appointment with James Franco
- Why should one serve one's nation?
- Why does a flower pot narrow?
- Where can I get information about startups?
- How to deal with failure
- Why should I move to Ashland Oregon
- What is the richest city in Germany
- How did you gain so much knowledge