Can people learn to swim with technical data?
Learn to swim for summer fun in the cool water
Swimming is healthy and fun! Especially in the hot summer months, many people long to cool off in bathing lakes or in the outdoor pool. However, hardly a summer day goes by without headlines about swimming accidents - over 400 of them ended fatally in Germany in 2019. Many children and adults underestimate the danger in water - or overestimate their swimming skills. Good swimming technique is the basis for safe swimming.
The best age to learn to swim
The earlier we start swimming, the easier it is. Ideally, children from the age of four learn to swim - parallel to cycling. Most of them are fit for the seahorse in around ten hours. They can get used to the water in a playful way in courses for toddlers beforehand.
Are you grown up and can't swim (yet)? No problem! You too can conquer the wet element for yourself. And how long does it take to learn to swim? How fast you learn to swim depends entirely on your commitment. The quickest way to practice the techniques is in a swimming course.
Teaching yourself to swim - a good idea?
Would you like to learn to swim quickly and would you prefer to get started right away? Teaching yourself to swim is possible, but not useful. Adults learn best from a certified swimming instructor. This is how you avoid bad posture. Because those who get used to the wrong style are less confident and slower on the road. In addition, neck or knee pain can occur due to incorrect swimming technique. If you have an experienced swimmer in your circle of friends, you can also practice with him in shallow water.
Teaching children to swim
Would you like to teach your child to swim independently? Then it is best to visit a swimming pool with a swimming pool. Because there it is safest to learn to swim. To do this, take your child in your arms in the water. His head remains above the surface. Now it's time to kick your legs! If the child knows the buoyancy of kicking, they can move on to the next step: exhaling underwater. Let the child make bubbles in the water with their mouth and later with their nose. In the last step, the arms are added. Very young children paddle best like dogs at first when they have little strength in their arms.
With a little swimming training, children get used to the water very quickly. A swimming course for children is ideal for teaching your offspring to swim professionally.
What happens in the swimming course?
Whether you are a child or an adult, a non-swimmer or a beginner: In a swimming course you will learn to swim under professional guidance. It's best to ask about opportunities to learn to swim in a class at a nearby indoor or outdoor pool.
The course, which lasts at least ten hours, will then deal with:
- Breathing, such as exhaling underwater
- Slide and float in the water to keep your balance
- First swimming and diving exercises
- If necessary: getting used to the water and reducing anxiety
Then the correct techniques for arm pull and leg kick are on the program. Swimming courses in Germany usually start with breaststroke techniques. Beginners who teach themselves to swim like to make the following mistakes: For example, they let their head above water or make so-called frog legs.
In the swimming course, you will also learn correct timing, for example inhaling while submerging your head while pulling your arm or kicking your legs correctly. When kicking the legs, the legs are parallel to each other and slightly heart-shaped when viewed from above. The movement comes from the lower legs. It is the main engine in breaststroke swimming.
The swimming instructor also corrects your posture. In this way you not only learn to swim step by step, but also avoid pain caused by the wrong technique. This allows your body to benefit optimally from the sport.
What swimming aids are there?
From classic armbands and pool noodles to pool ponies - there are many swimming aids for the water. They are inflatable or made of foam. They give you or your child a boost. Swimming boards are suitable, for example, to get used to the water or to practice certain techniques such as kicking the knees while crawling. However, swimming aids are not a free swimming license. They don't protect 100 percent from drowning. Children with swimming aids should therefore always be under supervision. Likewise, adults should not rely on their buoyancy aid when navigating in deep water.
Develop swimming skills: swimming badges
Swimming safely - what does that actually mean? Swimming badges can provide information about this. The seahorse rewards children as early swimmers for their first swimming strokes. The German swimming badge in bronze is the first proof of safe swimming. What do you have to do for this?
- Cover at least 200 meters in a quarter of an hour. At least 50 m of this in a second type of swim (for example breaststroke first and then switch to backstroke).
- Dive two meters deep and pull an object, such as a ring, out of the water.
- Jump into the water from a height of one meter or from the starting block
- Know the bathing rules.
Advanced swimmers can dare to take on the German swimming badges in silver and gold. Here the challenges are getting bigger. With the golden swimming badge, for example, there are transport swimming over 50 m or crawling as well as 50 m breaststroke in a maximum of 1:15 min. Preparatory swimming courses are offered, for example, by local groups of the DLRG (German Lifesaving Society). The swimming badges can be made in the swimming club or in public swimming pools with a lifeguard.
Bathing rules and behavior
If you can swim, you shouldn't jump into the cool water carelessly. Bathing rules help to avoid swimming accidents. Which includes:
- Do not jump into unfamiliar waters - rocks or shallow water can lead to serious accidents.
- Don't swim hungry or on a full stomach. Without food you lack the energy to swim, after eating your body is busy digesting. You feel sluggish and find it easier to concentrate. The result: swimming performance decreases and the risk of accidents in the water increases.
- Unsafe swimmers should only go up to their chest in the water.
- In lakes or by the sea, the ground can be flat for a long time and suddenly drop off steeply. Large temperature differences can also be dangerous.
- Do not swim in rivers - the currents can carry away children and adults. The shipping traffic can create whirlpools.
- Pay attention to flag signals by the sea. When the flag is red, swimming is prohibited. If the flag is yellow, only experienced swimmers should go into the water.
- Never let children into the water without supervision - small children can drown in 10 cm shallow water.
Follow these tips and avoid a swimming accident. We wish you all the best while learning to swim!
All journal articles
- Were Sumerians Africans
- Where can I find good steampunk costumes
- Can convert a Hindu to a Sikh
- What is the name of the elder in Tamil
- How do you clean a silver chain
- How does HCL
- Bicycles Why do people ride fixies
- How do I start a smartphone company
- What kind of MBTI is Harry Styles
- Why did Chelsea sell Salah
- Who is Black Widow's child
- Can I do an MBA privately?
- What is the history of Latin American music
- What does a pen mean
- What keeps you alive while life sucks
- What are the secrets of the TKE brotherhood
- How do you eat a boiled egg
- What household products contain boric acid
- Taiwan is poor
- Why should we buy gold today?
- How is it that people are so confident
- Identity Who are your people
- What can I learn to be rich
- What is cultural appropriation in literature