What are TCS values
Two years ago it was the big excitement in the automotive industry: the change in the measuring process for plant consumption. Since 1992 these have been determined according to the New European Driving Cycle (NEDC). Its measurement conditions, however, were so far removed from real driving behavior that the comparatively low factory consumption levels could hardly be achieved in everyday life. Result: dissatisfied customers, accusations of cheating against the industry. In doing so, it only used the leeway permitted in the NEDC process to reduce consumption values.
The new standard cycle World Harmonized Light Vehicle Test Procedure (WLTP) has been in effect since autumn 2018. And since then, the information in the brochure on consumption has actually turned out to be far closer to reality than in the old NEDC.
Just one example: In the test of the new Renault Clio, BLICK recently came up with 0.5 l / 100 km of the “reality supplement” from the WLTP to everyday life. In a BLICK test of the old Clio, the deviation in 2013 was 1.7 l / 100 km from the NEDC to reality - in both cases with small-displacement turbo gasoline engines. Their prevalence in particular has proven to be the main cause of the recently growing discrepancies between the NEDC and the everyday test, because they rarely run in the turbocharger range in the NEDC, but constantly in everyday life.
TCS only 0.3 l / 100 km
This has now been confirmed by a publication by the Touring Club Switzerland (TCS), which carries out standard tests in Emmen LU and also runs a number of its own real tests. In TCS tests, the deviation in the NEDC from 2014 to 2017 averaged 1.6 to 1.8 l / 100 km upwards - and the trend is rising. In the WLTP this has been reduced to 0.3 l / 100 km.
The WLTP cycle is also run on the roller dynamometer, but the measuring section is almost twice as long, the speeds are higher and, above all, the driving style is more dynamic: not sporty, but close to everyday life. In addition, the vehicles can no longer be optimized for the test as in the NEDC. Important: By the way, consumption measurement initially has nothing to do with exhaust gas fraud in the case of pollutant emissions.
E-ranges more realistic
The effect of the new measurement cycle is also reflected in the range of electric cars. Here, too, an example: In 2016, VIEW tested the old Nissan Leaf on 200 instead of the praised 250 NEDC kilometers - that is, minus 20 percent. In the test of the new Nissan Leaf in 2019, however, it was not less, but even 2.5 percent more: WLTP 270, BLICK test 277 kilometers.
Illusory plug-in hybrids
So everything is fine? Well: Despite the WLTP, the standard values for plug-in hybrids unfortunately remain illusory because the standard value - to put it roughly simply - still rather represents the first 100 kilometers with a fully charged battery and an electrical section. An example: In the BLICK test of the Ford Explorer, the WLTP factory specification was 3.2 l / 100 km + 22 kWh / 100 km, the test value was 9.4 l / 100 km + 13 kWh / 100 km. However: Like any standard, the WLTP has to make compromises: It would be unrealistic even without an electrical route.
- When will Pakistan stop helping terrorists?
- British politicians are corrupt
- What made you a refugee?
- Ambassadors have diplomatic immunity
- Are Indian Political Leaders Trustworthy?
- What do Italians think of Winx Club
- Why are all BJP supporters called Bhakts
- What industry is ready to be disrupted
- Rosacea worsens with age
- Why is theory important in nursing
- Do 2 + 2 4 in all possible universes
- What is the average salary of a librarian
- Lithium batteries age when not in use
- What is limited liability in business
- What is the perfect black body
- What are the best companies in Surat
- Debt collection agencies can call you at work
- How do leasing companies make money
- What do you think of Greta Thunberg
- Do you like adult diapers
- Why are Li-ion batteries expensive
- What is the suicide rate among psychiatrists
- How is Zionism different from racism?
- What are synonyms for amazing