Which two words describe college?
Lesson 2: Neighborhoods
In this lesson
Repeat: which words describe a neighborhood? Which words describe buildings and which describe other elements in a city district?
back to top
Talk to another person in the class about your neighborhood:
- What shops are there in your neighborhood?
- Where do you go most
- Do you have a favorite place in your neighborhood?
- Describe your neighborhood! Is it a residential area? Is it green or urban?
- Where is your neighborhood
- What do you like about your neighborhood?
- What do not you like?
back to top
What kind of shops are there in the neighborhood? What kind of “public buildings”?
You will read Susi's answer to this question. What do you expect in the text? Which words (from vocabulary, above) will you hear?
I live in Linz, in the Urfahr district. Urfahr is actually the greener part of Linz. I live with my family in a row house. That means we have seven neighbors who live in exactly the same houses. We find it very pleasant how we live because the children don't have to go far to school. We can easily reach the city center on foot. And although the situation with supermarkets could be a little better, we have a small shop where we can buy the things we need every day. There is also a bakery and a Greek restaurant nearby, but if I really want a large selection of shops or many different restaurants I have to walk about 25 minutes to the main street. Sometimes that is too far for me.
What else is nearby? A church is about a 5 minute walk and that is the church we are responsible for. The school is also near the main road. The children walk 10 to 15 minutes to the high school, depending on how fast they are. As for the mail, there is a post box down the street for mailing letters. But if you need stamps or want to send a package, the post office is further away, also near the main road, that is, a twenty-five minute walk or that long by bus, then you are there. There is public transport: there is a bus that goes up to us. And with this bus you have a connection to the tram.
Cultural note: the word Head- in compound words
Susi talks about the Main road in the text above. You already know the word Capital: Berlin is the capital of Germany and Vienna is the Capital from Austria. And Central Station, the largest and most important train station in a city. The Main road So there is an important road in Susi's text. What information in Suzy's text tells you that this road is important?back to top
How can this be said differently? You have already learned other words related to the above definitions. Sort the definitions again!
So far you have thought a lot about this question: What kind of shops are there in the neighborhood? What kind of “public buildings”? Now you will hear Isolde and Beate's answers to this question.
Work with hearingback to top
Talk to another person in the class about the following questions:
- Where do you go shopping? in the supermarket? in the bakery? or?
- How much do you buy For a day? For the whole week? or?
- How often do you go shopping? Once a week, twice a month? or?
- How do you go shopping By car? By bus? By bicycle? or?
Discuss the statistics on shopping in Germany. What percentage of Germans buy how? What's the same What is different? Why?
Look up statistics for your country on the Internet. How do people shop in your home country? How is that different from / similar to the statistics above?
What do you think: what influence does shopping frequency have on a city district?back to top
Alternating prepositions with dative
- What is the coolest job in india
- How can I learn hand drawn animation
- Which films exactly show the culture of Hong Kong?
- How important is religion in your marriage
- What does an enemy mean
- What length of socks are the best
- Have you ever been jumped in Miami
- Who deserves more surgeons or investment bankers
- Is free internet possible
- There is a fourth dimension
- A creatinine level of 2 to 8 is dangerous
- Where do you buy your women's tights
- Does fate mean the future
- Why do we always think about sex
- Women's fashion and style clothes and apparel
- What is cheap jewelry
- Which university is the MIT of Russia
- Why are engagement rings so expensive
- Why was the RBI governor changed?
- How would you describe a normal marriage
- How does Harry Potter live
- How to get emancipated in Canada
- Which country is culturally closest to India
- What slogans were put up by the revolutionaries?